Friday, February 19, 2021

AdamH's Tyranids - We've got fun and games (230 Points)

We are back again with more bright red, second edition alien gribblies!

Rank and File #2

So, this month was more of the same really, more termagants painted in the same style as last month's entry, however armed with different weapons, Spike Rifles:


Emboldened by my previous month's success I decided to add a few extra models on top of my original plans. I find that the most difficult thing I encounter when painting is settling on a scheme, once I have that down I can break the steps down into blocks and batch paint my way through units fairly easily. Therefore, adding models that follow my established scheme is pretty easy, thus I present to you the first of my surprise additions this month; a Biovore and three Spore Mines:

Finally, I have the first of what I consider "the advanced organisms" within the hive fleet. For certain models I plan to introduce blue as gradients over the parts of the model that I consider to be defining features. The first of these I painted this month:



As you can see the top half of the model here has that blue gradient, implying that the back claws/blades and the head (i.e., intelligence) are mutations or improvements that the lictor has over the rest of the swarm. Not sure if it really conveys that message as a model on its own but hopefully when you see some of the other models I use this technique it will make sense. I guess at worst case the blue breaks up the tide of red and makes for a slightly more interesting force to look at on the tabletop.

This month’s Rank and File submission is as follows:


UNIT

EXTRAS

#

TOTAL

Termagant Brood (6)

Spike Rifle (1)

12

84

Biovore (20)

 

1

20

Spore Mines

 

3

30

Lictor

 

1

96

                   TOTAL

230


Next month will be comprised entirely of new models (so no more Termagants for a while) including another new one not listed in my original target force.

There are some great forces coming together so far in the challenge with a crazy high standard of painting this year. Special shout out to Tom's Bad Moon Orks, he put out some amazing models this month so great job!

15 comments:

  1. I love this project so much, I don't know why these nids are so rarely seen despite the popularity of oldhammer. Those old lictors were so iconic before scything claws became a common theme on nids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree totally with Snottlebocket. These are fantastic paint jobs on great figures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are great- and you have patriotic British colors going on! Love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the bases on these! The grobbly alien plants are really landing the "ecosystem in overload" effect the 'nids have on their environment and they make the Spore Mines in particular look like more than just glorified counters.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nicely done sir, jealous of the works on the talons, never been able to achieve a look I've been truely happy with on anything of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Snottlebocket has the truth of it. Excellent job, and brings a bit of a reminisce to me about those lictor claws!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also... stop it you 👐 🙃

      (Many thanks for the shout out! I love your scheme and basing - it'll look incredible when all the nids are together!)

      Delete
  7. I've never been a fan of Tyrannids let alone 40k, but these are something special. I really enjoy seeing these.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They are wonderful dude !! Excellent job :) your colours are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So good looking! I love the color scheme you chose and how you based them is simply beautiful. Keep up the great job.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great work, I love the bright colours and highlights, the blue works really well

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love that lictor. 11/4 (limbs torn from my bleeding body)

    ReplyDelete
  12. They look good - again. That lictor is awesome, nice work bringing some loud colors together and the big stabby claw things are great.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Outstanding Tyranids there again, the lictor looks awesome with the blue to break the swarm carapaces.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cracking work and very vibrant! Love the idea of signifying mutations with that striking blue and the spore mines look pretty sinister, camouflaged as they are amongst the bright foliage!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog