Tuesday, June 29, 2021

Lissanne's Eldar- Welcome to the Machine (358 pts)


Defense of the Maiden World part 6
(Wild card month)
 
Unexpected reinforcements!  Space Pirates!  These space pirates have a secret base on this maiden world.  Since they take great pains not to disturb the world in any way, or be tracked here, the Worldsinger Yavanna lets them be.  But they will join the fight to keep their base a secret!

   For my Wild Card month, instead of painting more of things I already have, I finally decided to do as many 'must paint' minis as I could.  Didn't do to badly!


First, this tempest has sat around for decades with a bit of blue and red paint splashed on it.  I decided to finish it for the Wild Card, because anything goes.  But I will only take partial points, because it was started, just the color design, but...  (Not like I need the points, anyway)  Keeping with the prog rock art theme, this one is based on the illustrations of Gerald Scarfe,  specifically the Sea of Blood and Metal Monster, images from Welcome to the Machine, adapted to fit on the Tempest.  I am very very happy to have it finished after all this time! Here are some pics, and since I paint tops AND unseen bottoms (and it doesn't need glue) pics of the parts too.  Even painted some of the adoring hands from the Sea of Blood on it!





And a squad of Space Pirates!  Well, Shadow Spectres posing as 2nd edition Space Pirates.  A squad of 5 and an Pirate Captain (exarch).  And what self respecting crew of space pirates would go anywhere without their Jokaero!  Anything goes this month, as long as it's in your army list!

My story of the Shadow Spectres- you can skip this paragraph if you don't like stories.  Long ago, GW ran a series of in-store battles to determine the fate of Cadia.  Oh, and by the way, if Cadia fell, Ulthwe would fall as well.  If it stood, a new type of Aspect Warriors would appear.  It was an anything goes battle of just 6 turns, so I came up with a novel strategy, that myself and my 2 juniors used.  We brought our Armorcast Titans, stepped in front of the gate round 1, and shouted 'We don't care about the mon-keigh,  we're here to save Ulthwe.'  And such like. The opposition couldn't blast the titan AND the gate in 6 turns.  We won 6 of these games that way, myself 3 and my junior captains 3.   I think Cadia ended up winning by 3 games, if I remember.  But it seems there were GW reps at every game, and they couldn't help but hear our battle cry.  We said it often. So Cadia fared less well than it might have, but Ulthwe stood, and the next aspect warrior figures to appear were the Shadow Spectres.  As a result, I have an undue fondness for this faction, and took this Wild Card opportunity to finally paint them.  They weren't easy to paint either, fiddly little things.

Here are the 'space pirates' in pairs, and a back shot which is mostly ribbons.





Oh, I have them unpainted too. should be fair about it (when I remember to take 'Before' pics)


   The Jokaero- another mini sitting about for about a decade, when I got the bright idea to paint it for the challenge.  Some pics




So there you have my last entry for this OWAC.  I'm not bothering figuring wargear, I don't need the points, and I don't like math.  And Jokaero are in RT not 2nd edition, so no points there,  I'm only taking half points for the Tempest because I had decided the color pattern beforehand (but again, don't need the points)

Rundown:
Tempest- 300 pts
Space Pirates-45 pts
Pirate Captain-13 pts
Jokaero- 0 pts
total (more or less) 358 pts


I hope everyone else had a fun and productive OWAC too!  Next, the wrap up post!

12 comments:

  1. Well done that lady, for reaching the finish line, hooray.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww yiss! Great finishing model there - a cracking job! Love the backstory to the Spectres :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing stuff! Lovely tank, I especially like the heart monitor set-up

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The 'heart monitor' look is also the art of Gerald Scarfe, but from the Dark Side of the Moon video!

      Delete
  4. This is very cool - so neat to see one of these classic Eldar vehicles - with such a neat paint job to boot! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ending the challenge with a Bang! Love the painting on that tank

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! As usual, outstanding work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Impressive last post, the tank looks amazing. The shadow specters are cool in the grey scheme and I know a similar story in that campaign. But I was in the unlucky side of a similar "titanicus catenaccio"!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow - a Pink Floyd tank! Love a bit of Floyd and Gerald Scarfe's work but wasn't that familiar with Welcome to the Machine so thanks for bringing that to my attention. The metal monster looks amazing on your Tempest and I love the idea of the tank floating on the sea of blood painted on its underside!

    Never come across Shadow Spectres before but they look brilliant - nice idea to use them as pirates. The Jokaero is another fun addition too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is simply amazing. I love that the space pirates use their tank as a mobile canvas to express their artistic talents 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the original fluff, each eldar vehicle and armor was supposed to be a work of art that would stop others dead in their tracks with beauty. I bear that in mind as much as possible!

      Delete

Search This Blog