Monday, August 9, 2021

Maciek's classic undead: Wrap-up (1776 points)

My first OWAC is complete!

I can hardly believe I made it to the end. Looking at the models helps it to sink in. So, without further ado, here is the whole army with the mugshot:

 Job's a good'un!  :-)

Reflections

This was my most focused and productive painting project to date. The result is 69 figures in 6 months (inc. 11 cavalry), which is a lot by my standards. Without OWAC it would take years for me to paint that many figures. Hence the smug expression on the selfie. What made it possible? What can be improved? For me, a combination of multiple factors:

Strong inspiration - that was the main factor in staying motivated. This army was a nostalgia trip to the 90s when I was first exposed to Warhammer and started painting figures. At that time my hobbies were mostly RPGs and heavy metal, not wargames. But back then a Warhammer army of undead would have been my choice. So thanks OWAC, that is one childhood dream fulfilled ;-)

Planning & preparation - Prepping models in advance and planning monthly batches helped a lot. There is room for improvement here - months when work deadlines were parallel to OWAC deadlines were pretty tense (that was 4 of the 6 months...). I'll have to plan less for these months next time.

Monthly deadlines - wonderful motivator. I now know I need a cracking whip to deliver regularly and keep working ;-)

Balance - keeping the balance of family commitments, work and OWAC was the greatest challenge. Improvement for next time is more steady work, less mad dashes at the end of the month. Painting just when the mood strikes may not be enough.

Variety - I (barely) managed to stick to one army for 6 months because it offered some variety in types of undead allowing to try out new things each month. I'll plan maximum variety in next projects.  

Feedback - peer feedback helps! Many thanks to the great community of this challenge for the "moral support".

OWAC army breakdown (1737 points):

- 20 skeletons with spears inc. undead hero and command (January) - 343 pts

- 11 Death riders (February & March) - 335 pts.

- 20 zombies with standard (April) - 88 pts.

- 10 ghouls (May) - 80 pts

- the Necromancer (Level 25) - (June) - 340 pts

- the Vampire (Level 5) - (June) - 330 pts

- Wight standard bearer (Level 15 undead hero)  - (June) - 135 pts

- Vampire wannabe - (Level 15 undead hero) - (June) - 85 pts

 Bonus stuff (0 points):

- 9 skeletons (January + July)

- Skull chucker catapult! (July)

January - Skeletons 

20 Skeletons with spears 
 
Bonus skeletons
 February and March - Death riders 
 
11 Death riders

April - Zombies
 
20 zombies

May - Ghouls

10 Ghouls
 
June - heroes
 

July - bonus stuff
Things panted in July are not part of OWAC and I claim no points for them. But they were prepared for OWAC and painted on the motivation rush generated by it. Hence, I take the liberty to include them in the wrap-up post, to demonstrate OWAC's lasting impact.


1 x Screaming skull catapult. I love the malevolent crew and the goofiness of the catapult. Gave it a scenic base and a string for some added "realism" (probably not the word to use for this device).
 
5 x old plastic skeletons. These guys spent 25 years as broken and badly painted pieces in the bitz box or decorating bases. They were cleaned and put together for OWAC and I'm happy to be returning them to service.
 
Next steps
This OWAC covered most of my undead collection, though some units still await the brush - armoured wights, wraiths and more heroes. But for now, the Undead are strong enough to hold their own in the field. So for the time being, I will hold their further expansion and switch gears
 
In next months I will focus on smaller projects - more warbands for Mordheim. Next year, I would love to join the OWAC V, if Iannick will grant me a place. 
 
Assuming I get a place my first choice would be a multi-culti "Grey Mountains Alliance" - Dwarfs and Bretonnians. An alliance born of necessity to fight the green-skin (and occasionally wood elf) menace. It would feature mostly imperial dwarfs and allied feudal Bretonnians (go heraldry!). I have already started preparations and filling gaps in my collection.
 
But there is another, darker path and its lure has been growing stronger. An army of mortals, beasts and demons under the banner of Chaos undivided. Recent stimuli have further fuelled that inspiration - pictures of delightful Chaos armies in OWAC IV, newly discovered chronicles of Corum by Moorcock or a recent visit to Beksinski's exhibition in Warsaw (which resulted in an instant gain of d6 insanity points).
 
 Conclusions

OWAC IV was an amazing ride. Inspiring, motivating, very challenging, often exhausting, at times tense, but ultimately... immensely satisfying.  It was an honour to be part of it.

Beyond a newly panted army my biggest gain is awareness that I can paint faster, stay focused on one subject and what conditions I need to do it. This opens possibilities to actually paint my lead pile before retirement.
 
Many thanks to Iannick for organising this collective madness. This challenge brings about more painted Oldhammer models into existence. That alone makes the world a better place :-) Plus, as an added bonus, it makes a lot of figure painters happy! Kudos to you!

Thanks to the other challengers for feedback and congratulations for all your amazing work!  It has been a source of inspiration and motivation during this challenge. I am looking forward to reading all the wrap-ups!

Cheers and hope to see you next year!

31 comments:

  1. Congratulations on finishing the OWAC! Looking forward to your next army, and I love the catapult as an addition! Great pose too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Lissanne! I could not bear to leave out the skullchucker, as it's such a classic model (and not to risk that it waits a decade for paint...) Curious what you'll paint next year!

      Delete
  2. Congratulations ! Each of your entries wad a delight to discover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jaeckel! And I enjoyed to feast my eyes on your lovely Swiss dwarves!

      Delete
  3. Nice looking horde of undead models! Very classic!
    Either choice made for next year would be excellent, personally I’d vote to see your imperial dwarfs & Brets

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much! Classic was the look I was after! Dwarfs and Brets are still my first choice (4th edition dwarfs were my first WFB love).

      Delete
  4. Really fantastic army you've put together! Looking forward to seeing what comes next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bill! Right back at you with the spiffy greenskins!

      Delete
  5. Fantastic looking force, thematic and old school, one of my favourites this year. Dangerous as well as its inspiring me to add to my already considerable lead pile...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much - most kind of you! Glad I managed to get across the old school feel. Have fun with the undead, if you add them to your lead pile! 😊

      Delete
  6. Well done in completing the challenge, a cracking force of bones!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great army, and some interesting reflections, too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I do hope they will actually help me to avoid the same pitfalls next year 😊

      Delete
  8. Great wrap up post, I enjoyed reading about your feedback. A lovely army, with some very clean painting and gorgeous banners. Bravo! See you next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Iannick, much appreciated. OWAC has been a great experience and one with very tangible results! Thanks for this opportunity and already looking forward to OWAC V!

      Delete
  9. Congratulations! Great looking army! Those banners really add some splashes of colour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks! Banners were definitely one of the most enjoyable parts in each regiment and a nice break from the earthy tones.

      Delete
  10. The units.. the banners.. it's perfect! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Superb army, beautifully painted and may I say, you'd make a very dapper Necromancer judging by the whole army pic! 😉

    Much as I'd love to see an allied Dwarf and Bretonnian army (strong nostalgic feelings for the small allied force that featured in the Battle at the Barrow, or whatever it was called, battle report in White Dwarf back in the day!)from you, I feel I should encourage you down the dark path to Chaos with promises of power and otherworldly rewards!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Steve, most kind of you!

      I did expect you may tempt me to the path of damnation, as befits the silver tongued champion of Chaos 😉

      For now at least I settle for the promises of gold, fine ale and runic paintbrushes offered by the dwarfs. I would actually love to read that battle report! I could not find it though. Would you recall any further details to identify the white dwarf issue?

      Delete
    2. Well the taint of Chaos reaches even the deepest Dwarven hold eventually 😉

      On my holidays at the moment so don't have access to my White Dwarfs but after a bit of googling I've tracked it down to WD 153 - Battle of Grimdal's Tomb. It was actually Bretonnians and Dwarves fighting over some Dwarven treasure whilst dodging various Undead and Trollish inhabitants of the barrow!

      Delete
    3. I realise that my eventual corruption by chaos is inevitable... but there is only one thing we say to the Gods of Chaos: "not today" ;-)

      Thanks very much for the pointer to WD 153. Great battle report with fun special rules and tomb raiding. I actually remember seeing that army by the Kislevite horse scout (which I aimed to emulate in late 90s). It certainly feeds the dwarf inspiration for OWAC V! :-)

      Delete
  12. So perfectly painted !! Amazing, they look directly out from an old WD !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Laurent! Glad I could recreate that retro look.

      Delete
  13. The paint work is gorgeous: clean, crisp and great contrast! A straight up blast from the past!

    The banners are brilliant, as are the little touches of freehand on the shells and whatnot - that white pearlescent shield 👀

    Flipping awesome - congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks very much Tom! Clean and oldschool look was the aim, while contrast and freehand elements make models "pop" a bit more.

    Which you demonstrated so well on your lovely space Orcs! Their colours, patterns and level of detail are just amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is excellent information. It is amazing and wonderful to visit your site. Get a solution for any nature of problem from Astrologer Sharma Canada's top and trusted astrologer. Famous Astrologer in Scarborough | Good Astrologer in Scarborough | Psychic Reader in Scarborough | Palm Reader in Scarborough | Fortune Teller in Scarborough

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog