Thursday, December 30, 2021

Sam's OWAV V Intro Post - Got wood

Hello all I’m back again. You might know me from such things as “bright red spears and bows”, “red guns are good camouflage, right?” and “bloody ‘ell, not more red weapons Guv” brought to you by Catachans and Orcs of the eye wateringly bright 90s. For this year, the delectable OWAC V, I’ll be taking on another army I always wanted but never quite got around to, and an ever popular choice around these parts, some Woodies. However, unlike most who normally opt for the 80s range, my army will be consisting exclusively of the 90s metal range sculpted by Aly Morrison and Trish Carden with a few cameos by Gary Morley.

The inspiration for my army is Paul Smith’s wonderful broody Wood Elf Host featured in WD 212. This was one of the very first WDs I ever bought, and the army has stood out in my memory over all these years. So much so that whenever I think about Wood Elves I’ve always been brought back to the image of this great army. So as is fitting, I’m going to attempt to replicate it to a certain degree.

My list is very flexible at this point with what I will paint for the challenge, but what I have is as below minus a couple of models and horses still in the stripping juice:






163pts - Wood Elf General (Elven steed) 

124pts - Mage Champion (Elven Steed)

345pts - 26 Archers (including champion, standard and musician) 

192pts - 15 Glade Guard (including champion, standard and musician)

176pts - 7 Scouts (including champion, standard and musician)

126pts - 7 Waywatchers

294pts - 8 Glade Riders (including champion, standard and musician)

280pts - 8 Dryads

75pts - Great Eagle

280pts  - Treeman

Total: 2,055pts

Following with the theme it does mean that I will opt for the first time ever not to paint my weapons in red (shock, horror!) although calm yourselves, there will be plenty of red gems to make up for it. Generally, Mr. Smith used a very limited palette, and I will follow suit to certain extent. With Dark green and white being the predominant colours, and dark brown leathers/woodskin, a pale flesh tone, silver and gold weapons, and dark red gems making up the spot colours. So mine will have a little more colour, but still hopefully retain the broody feel.

For the ever benevolent Overlord, as I hear he likes pink, I have just the thing to provide appeasement from my collection:

And that's all from me. Very much looking forwards to seeing everyone's projects, especially Adam H's pesky rats whom I hope to riddle full of arrows in the near future. If they'll just kindly stop spreading the plague a little first.

Peace out

Sam

14 comments:

  1. What would the OWAC be without wood elves! Great choice, sir!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it my imagination or are wood elves very popular this year? Classic eagle and tree man too! Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are always popular, certainly one of the challenge's favourites.

      Delete
  3. Pink horror! It was the obvious choice ;-)

    Fun list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Get wrecked son, the rats are coming for you pansy elves!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember this! I always thought that druid looked amazing. Looking forward to seeing this finished!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking forward to seeing these painted up. Go Team Elves/Eldar!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I remember that army! An inspiration. This is going to be great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. 4th ed wood elves were a great range of minis that really stand up over time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really enjoyed your Catachans last year - hope to see the odd one skulking in the bushes in the background of your Wood Elf pics? ;)

    Look forward to seeing your take on these Tree Huggers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember this WD article! Great choice of inspiration and I'm really looking forward to seeing this colour scheme :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. can't wait to see them completed! very nice selection of minis

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great selection of models! I love the 90s woodies and look forward to seeing your progress (particularly on those rarely seen spearmen!). Good plan for the palette, curious to see how it turns out. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog