Thursday, June 30, 2022

Grant's Wood Elf Host - Month 6 *Wild Card* (760pts)

And just like that, it was the end of June!

Feels like it was only a couple of weeks ago that the challenge started, and now it’s basically over. I had some plans for this month, but they didn’t end up coming all the way to fruition. I had planned a Zoat, but it’s still lying in paint stripper. I’d also planned to do the movement trays, but other plans got in the way. Work got super busy, and movement trays aren’t the most exciting things to paint.

I also took a holiday with some pals down to a stately home in Monmouth, South Wales. Spent 5 days drinking, and playing Magic and Board games. Was very pleasant, and would massively recommend it, but it’s knocked me out of my painting rhythm massively, as well as causing my hands to shake in the immediate aftermath for some reason.

So, without further excuses about what I didn’t do this month, this is what I’ve done.

1 Treeman – 280pts

            

            

The classic 'give us a hug' pose. I painted the lichen in the same way as I painted the green on the Wood Elves, in an effort to unify the Trees as part of the army.

1 Treeman – 280pts

            

            

The other of the Trish Morrison classics. I have a more modern Durthu, but it doesn't resonate with me nearly as much as these two. I'll probably add it after the challenge, but I didn't have time to finish it before the end of this month.

1 Forest Giant – 200pts*

            

            

This is an interesting addition for a couple of reasons. First, it breaks the self imposed 'all Citadel' rule that I'd made for myself at the start. This is a Ral Partha Cloud Giant miniature. Secondly, it's not actually in the 3rd edition Wood Elves list.

I thought that a Forest Giant would make a cool centrepiece, and that if I wasn't allowed to use him as a Giant, he'd make a decent Durthu in a game of 4th+ or Renaissance. I did do a bit of justification for his inclusion in Giant form, and present the following, from my trusty, dog eared copy of Warhammer Armies.

 


As you can see, clear as day - Giants live in the Forest. Wood Elves ally with inhabitants of Forests. I rest my case!

Looking forward to next month, and my best Bryan Ansell pose looming over my army. It's been a great first challenge. I've got a wonderful new/old army that I didn't before. I'd encourage anyone who's on the fence to get involved and add to it next year. There can never be enough old warhammer armies in the world.

10 comments:

  1. I'd allow the forest giant :P well paint. BUT I would note that Beastmen are also forest dwellers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forest Giant is a great idea, and a great ending to the OWAC!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to see the pose!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I like your take - I'll edit a picture of our treemen next to each other to compare them for the group after my post goes up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Right back in the day, as "recently" as the First Citadel Compendium, Ral Partha miniatures were sold in the UK by Citadel. Not as late as that model, but it's only barely cheating ;) Also it's a classic - the Rule of Cool applies. As for the army list, he's a treeman, just slightly more man than tree!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Given the fact that I'm giving a grey giant to my grey mountain dwarfs, I am fully supporting your interpretation of the Warhammer Armies book. Nice wooden month by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That Forest Giant is kick ass! Totally in character with the army - Wood Elves need more forest creatures, so I think this fits in great. The Treemen have some really lovely colours that sit well together.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Forest giant for the win! I agree that the world needs more oldhammer armies! Looking forward to seeing them all together :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yesss! The Forest Giant is excellent, a really clever use of the Cloud Giant sculpt. Breaking army list rules is very Oldhammer anyway :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also a lovely job on the treemen. I also love Trish's sculpts - have you seen her new Treeman coming out this year from Footsore miniatures? It's amazing!

      Delete

Search This Blog