Sunday, July 31, 2022

Army of Gusseldorf - Byron's wrap-up post


The miserly, and flamboyant, esteemed Baron of Gusseldorf, Byron Harmon,
and his flappable army of Gusseldorf (pun intended)

Army

Rank and file                508 pts (42%)

    Halberdiers x 18

    Greatswords x 10

    Handgunners x 10

    Archers x 10

    Dogs (and Handlers) x6 (x2)

War Machines            100 pts (8%)

    Cannon

Characters                   597 pts (49%)

    General on Griffon

    Heroes x 3

    Wizard (and a witch)

    Assassin

                            Total: 1205 pts

Pictures of the army!

Hunting dogs!

General Duke Wilhelm flanked by the princess and  Olbrecht.

The archers of Gusseldorf in a skirmishing formation

Cannon ready to fire, with the handgunners nearby lead by Hans die Gans.
(And Gustav the assassin lurking behind)

Duke Wilhelm of Gusseldorf upon his trusty Opinicus, Rudolf. 

The Helblitzen of Güsseldorf. - Honk Honk! We are Hear! - Led by the timid prince.

The Landsknecht of Gusseldorf - Duck. Duck. Attack!

Olbrecht the wanderer


Reflections
Last year I started my reflection with the following observation: "Being largely unemployed made the challenge much easier for me. I imagine that if I were employed and/or had kids that meeting the monthly requirements would have been especially difficult."

How right I was! This year, in the middle of OWAC, I got a job, moved to another state, then moved again into a house with my partner and her three kids! My free time has evaporated! 

I felt much less engaged and creative this time around. I struggled to name my models and develop their backstory let alone get paint on my minis. One thing I enjoyed that I truly lacked in my previous Dark Elf army was banners. My dark elf army only had one banner and it was a banner cast onto the mini so there was little room to improvise. With this army I really enjoyed making up goose puns for the banners. 

Interim
Between now and the next OWAC I need to finish the remainder of my Gusseldorfers, sculpt up some more Gusseldorfers (knights, and a queen). I might then start sculpting some nordic dwarves.

Next OWAC
I am very enthusiastic about the next OWAC. I have an odd collection of old citadel and marauder wood elves. I have so many ideas! My plan is to paint them up like hippies from the 60's! I'm gonna sculpt extra flowers in their hair. I've created a random name generator that pays homage to the naming conventions of Forendron's last stand. I've gonna give them some banners with toxic positivity slogans on them like "We gave peace a chance!" "Good Vibes Only!" as well as some alterations of beloved hippy songs! And, if the timing works, I'd like to recreate the famous Olley "Pint Pals" with elves smoking. 

Minis at my Disposal
A set of Scarloc's archers
16ish marauder 4th ed spearmen
10 dryads
Durthu
Wildcats and a handler
Hunting Dogs and a handler
A few Waywatchers
Some wizards
and a few other odds and ends that don't quit add up to full units. 

12 comments:

  1. Congratulations! I hope everyone gets down and cranes their head to take a gander at this flock! Amazing sculpts too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely love the super characterful army you've created and especially the regimental mottos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've really enjoyed following your progress this year Byron, your beautifully sculpted and painted mini's and the humorous background. Sorry to hear you've got a job now ;) but really looking forward to next year's hippy elves.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Basically, you've succeeded in building a Citadel C46 villagers army without spending a penny on eBay to get the miniatures. Congratulations :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautifully done, so much character and story in these

    ReplyDelete
  6. What can you say about a man who sculpts his own army? A great achievement in itself. And then to add so much more character with painting and story? It's just showing off really, isn't it? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great project! Very original and lively bunch.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Talk about going above and beyond. Truly incredible work from start to finish!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wait... you not only produced OWACs first ever all sculpted army, but you did that while taking on all of that new stuff in real life at the same time!? Wow! I mean, "impressive" doesn't cover it.

    Outstanding!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hell yeah Gusseldorf! Hell yeah Hans die Gans!

    Looking forward to that next OWAC army, that sounds fantastic - now if only you can work 'we didn't start the fire' into it somewhere... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Echoing all here - your army is magnificent! Congratulations, and with all that life stuff too, immense!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful stuff, classic colour scheme for a stunning effort over the last few months

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog