Tuesday, July 26, 2022

Shadespyre's OWAC V Wrap Up Post - The Completed Kingdom of the Gnolls (or is it Goblins?) (2871 or 2773 points)

OWAC V - The Completed Kingdom of the Gnolls

July

We interrupt this OWAC for some health news:

Veterans of OWAC IV (where I painted Lizardmen) may remember that my progress was interrupted by a spell of serious back pain, but OWAC disaster was averted by my having been ahead of schedule before that. And I've been bothered on and off by it ever since. Well, in June, I finally had an MRI scan on my back showing (as I long suspected) that I have a severely bulging disc in the lumbar region which is the cause of my many symptoms. Currently I am waiting to see a consultant to discuss whether I need surgery (spoiler alert - yes, I damned well do!) and what that involves. That, and its possible impact on OWAC VI, is for the future.

Right now, the impact is that I can't bend or stretch much, or walk far or stand up for long. Which means I can't access much of my mini collection (which is in the loft) or get in any floor level cupboards or even reach the high shelf which I have been stashing my Gnolls on as I finished them. Which was bad planning, it turns out. Fortunately, good planning means that I took a few army pictures way back in April of the almost completed project. So those are what I can share this month.

And now, back to your regular scheduled OWAC!

Where we started:

This is the first picture of the planned army, although even at this stage it was a little bit dishonest! There are no cavalry models here, for a start - not because I didn't plan to include them, but because at this stage I was hoping to get more of them and so wasn't sure what the final unit breakdown would look like. 

Now here's our old friend, Gnoll #1. All these colours made it through into the final army, including the "I've really no idea why I used this" pale blue. But he's a bit dull. I don't think I'd have been too happy churning out unit after unit looking like this, to be honest.

As it was, I think I'd painted 50 or 60 of the little fellas before I forced myself to address the issue. And then along came good old Waleran, Earl of Worcester with his checkered coat of arms (and checkered history) bringing us the bright red and yellow heraldry that saved the day. Thanks, Earl Wally!

Where we finished:




These pictures were taken in mid April, and contain almost everything that ended up being painted (the two children are the main omission, I think). The tents rather dominate, don't they? I'm pleased by the size of the army - I had to spread it out on the floor because I couldn't easily get it on a table, on my trusty old Citadel grass mat. The red and yellow flags and shields stand out quite nicely, I think.

I could repeat all the pictures from the previous blog posts, but that seems a bit redundant. Go have a look back if you want to!

"Final" Army List

There are two versions of the army list, one which runs as close as possible to the 3rd Edition Orcs and Goblins list in Warhammer Armies, and one which is based on it but tweaked to better reflect the "Great Goblin" statistics from 1st and 2nd Edition. The simplest way to achieve this was to define my Gnoll statline as being the same as Half-Orcs - which means I can use all the points values for characters that are listed in Warhammer Armies, and results in an easy to calculate 1/2 point saving per Infantry model or 1 point per Cavalry model. I then conjured up a new statline for Lesser Goblins, again based on 1st / 2nd edition stats, and awarded it a points value of 2, as it is worse than both Goblin or Halfling in 3rd edition...!

 

M

WS

BS

S

T

W

I

A

 

Ld

Int

Cl

WP

 

POINTS

Great Goblin

4

3

3

3

3

1

3

1

 

7

6

7

7

 

5

Lesser Goblin

4

2

3

2

2

1

4

1

 

5

5

5

5

 

2


Because of this, the army lists will now have two different points values. The only massive change is that in the "Gnoll" list the Chariots have been completley re-built using the 3rd edition rules and so are both better and much more expensive. Also I made the little Jester a Gnoll rather than a Goblin as he is in the O&G list.

Here goes then:
 

Name

No

Counts As

Gear

Points

 

 

 

 

O&G

Gnoll

King Waleran

1

Level 20 Orc / Gnoll Hero

LA, Sh, 2HW

121

110

Queen Boardica

1

Level 25 Orc / Gnoll Hero

HA, Lance

148

155

Royal Chariots

2

Orc Battle Chariot

2 x Short Bow, Scythes

172

-

Royal Chariots

2

Heavy Chariot, 2 x War Boars, 3 x Gnoll crew, 3 x LA, 1 x Bow,

-

244

Court Wizard

1

Level 20 Orc / Gnoll Wizard

 

251

240

Royal Standard

1

Level 15 Orc / Gnoll Hero

LA, Sh, Army Standard

141

133

The Aunties

2

Level 10 Orc / Gnoll Wizard

 

182

170

Court Jester

1

Level 5 Goblin / Gnoll Wizard

 

45

60

 

 

 

 

 

 

Gnoll Gnights

5

Snortas (Orc / Gnoll)

 

235

230

Gnoll Boar Riders

8

Gruntas (Orc / Gnoll)

LA, Sh, Standard

221

212

Royal Huscarls

20

Biguns (Orc / Gnoll)

Standard

199.5

189

Gnolls-At-Arms

11

Boyz (Orc / Gnoll)

Standard

102

96

Royal Champion

1

Level 10 Orc / Gnoll hero

LA, Sh, Spear

65

59

Gnolls-At-Arms

20

Arrer Boyz (Orc / Gnoll)

LA, Sh, Musician

220.5

210

Gnoll Clan Riders

6

Gruntas (Orc / Gnoll)

Sh, Standard

147

140

Gnoll Clansmen

20

Boyz (Orc / Gnoll)

 

170

160

Gnoll Schiltron

12

Boyz (Orc / Gnoll)

Halberd

126

120

L Goblin Archers

20

Stickas (Goblin / L Goblin)

Sh

80

60

L Goblin Scouts

30

Gobbos (Goblin / L Goblin)

Sh

105

75

L Goblin Horde

30

Gobbos

 

90

60

 

 

 

 Baggage Bonus              

 50   

 50

 

 

 

TOTAL

2871

2773


(Items in bold are characters)

The points don't quite fit the army list in either case, there are a few too many points in characters for the 1/3 limit but this would be easily balanced by adding some Magic Standards (which count as Rank and File if in units) rather than extra miniatures. I could also nudge up the rank and file numbers by incorporating some of the miniatures I haven't included in units so far:

3 Gnolls with polearms
2 Drunken Gnolls
2 Gnoll children
Cyril the Bear
maybe even the cutesy boar piglet?

Obviously, options for allies or mercenaries from elsewhere in my collection, too.

Future Additions & Missed Opportunities

I've whined many times about how hard / expensive it is to collect miniatures of this period. In fact, supply of models was quite an issue with this project - often the prices sought on eBay are ridiculous, but worse iss when the minis just aren't there at all. I assume the mid 80s explosion of Warhammer popularity and greater number of minis manufactured and sold is one reason why it's so much easier to collect an army of early slotta minis than from just a year or three earlier?

Scarcity of models obviously dictated the size (even absence of) some possible units. Less obviously, it made me more reticent to cut up and convert some of the miniatures that I could find, so there are far less weapon swaps and standard bearers than I'd like. If a miniature is rare and also sturdy, you can't even buy any pre-broken ones, it turns out.

Another area I'd still like to explore is adding some of the early Night Goblin models as a unit or two, but the early night-shirted fellows are no easier to find than the Gnolls are. This is how I'd have liked to fill up that 20 Arrer Boyz requirement, and would have been the proper place to pop in some early Goblin Fanatics, too. It wouldn't even have been cheating, as they were pretty much the last range announced before the "C" cataloguing system started.

Another expansion option would be a Monstrous Host, with the obvious choice being a massive herd of hairy piggies! I'd have loved to have done this if I could lay my hands on more Boar models of suitable age. (Perhaps I need to have a chat with Benjamin about how he's populated half a Beastman army using press-molding?)

Coming Next?

Right now, I fully intend to be OWACing again in 2023. I have all the same choices that I had this time around (mostly variations on the word "Elves") plus that Fimir army which I accidentally acquired this year. I'd say at the moment Dark Elves feel most likely, but it's what I feel like come November and December that really counts, isn't it?

Thanks

Big thanks as ever to Our Mighty Overlord for having me along again, and to everyone who leaves comments on my posts here and on Facebook. I'd be painting miniatures anyway, but almost certainly not completing armies like this one. This is a brilliant community to be part of, and I'm ever grateful for it.

17 comments:

  1. Those army shots look great. It all ties together so well

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks wonderful as it is and the colors are beautiful! I hope you what you need to get well soon Richard, and Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm glad you think so. And I had an appointment this morning which left me feeling more positive, too.

      Delete
  3. Such a lovely experience to see these old figures painted in their majestic heraldry!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe you dare posting pictures of this red & yellow + black boar color scheme. Totally stolen from MY army ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Meanwhile, I'm wondering what dark secrets are hiding in the family tree of some of your dwarves that lead to them adopting *our* proud Gnollish heraldry!

      Delete
    2. Theft and now calumny. Gnolls are definitely the worst!

      Delete
  5. Such a unique army and feat of collecting. It has really added something special to the OWAC this year. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, that's very kind and all I could hope for. I'm definitely better at collecting than I am at painting, at the end of the day :)

      Delete
  6. Gorgeous army with so many minis I've never seen before. Truly incredible stuff. Congrats on reaching the finish line.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing army, so colorful and charming. Your conversions fit perfectly and added an extra layer to an already awesome project. Hope you find suitable direction to expand (and you get better!) to see new reinforcements coming in the next OWAC.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Truly a spectacular army, that red and yellow is ace!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such an amazing project. None more old-school, and with the amazing conversions and striking scheme, you've hit a real winner.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really enjoyed watching this horde of gnolls (or are they goblins?) grow. Hope your back gets sorted dude and looking forward to seeing what you bring to OWAC VI.

    ReplyDelete
  11. APRIL! Holy moley, that is some stirling work there. They look resplendent in their red and yellow - great stuff 👊

    ReplyDelete
  12. One day I will following down this particular rabbit hole, well done sir

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just wanted to pop back and AGAIN say a big THANK YOU to everyone who has read any of my posts, followed this project, and especially if you left a comment. You are very much appreciated :)

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog