Friday, February 24, 2023

Shadespyre's February Post - Rank and File (II) - (Still still unnamed) Dark Elves (662 points)

OWAC VI - Rank and File (II) - And Now For Something Completely Similar...?

February


Here at CAMRA* HQ, we believe painting should be a joyless, shoulder to the wheel, grinding experience, and so for month two I have painted EXACTLY THE SAME MINIATURES AGAIN. Well, not quite - the Mengil in this unit has a different shaped sword blade, because the original was missing. Woo.

And almost the same ten crossbowmen. I'd apologise for the out of focus pictures, but if you want to know what they look like, just nip back to the January post...

Something I WILL apologise for is the continued plain grey bases. This is down to logistical issues - I actually ordered a bunch of supplies from my usual vendor at the end of November, and finally cancelled the still unavailable order towards the end of January... I have since over-compensated by purchasing way too much wintery basing stuff which I shall have a go with next month, begging our munificent (and handsome, wise and kind) Overlord's indulgence.


I also had some thoughts on theme and shield designs and things, but I'm still feeling my way with that. I'm loathe to interrup the painting process by overthinking these things too early!

Now I imagine most of you are bored stiff by now, what with there being no NMM or game board or round-based frippery to look at, so here's a bonus unit - Witch Elves!


20 Witch Elves in a mix of the four different poses. No command group because there aren't any minis for one - I'm sure I'll add a Hero to lead them later on. Sadly neither great swords nor shields are available to them in the 3rd edition list (though crossbows are!?), so this unit will have to be armed with merely poisoned dual hand weapons.

I did consider giving this unit a variety of pink / purple hairdos, but I think the white hair makes the unit stand out more from the rest of the army. And it might look nice with the snowy bases, but who can say right now? 

Army List Additions:

Scores for January:          662 points    50 models

20 x Dark Elf Warriors    (Standard Bearer, Musician)                               242 points

10 x Dark Elf Crossbowmen       (Shields)                                                       140 points

20 x Witch Elves (Poisoned Attacks, Additional Hand Weapon)              280 points

Running Total:                  1044 points    80 models

(Chances are I'll end up adding a champion to each of my close combat units, but that's for another day.)

I've now met (actually, surpassed) the minimum unit requirements for a legal army. Nice. 

Coming Next:

I'll be honest, this month really has been a grind, but Onwards! I said last month I needed to get my originally posted army finished during March if I was to be able to include all the fun stuff I'd like to further down the line. And so I hope this time next month I shall be bringing you 20 painted Cold One riders AND a bonus unit AND some wintery bases.


*CAMRA - The Campaign For Real Armies

16 comments:

  1. I really like the wintery hair, it makes them pop! And the purple and black looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm glad you think so. I'll be introducing a new, non-purple colour next month, which I'm sure we'll all be grateful for!

      Delete
  2. That's a lot of drows! The white hair works as a really nice feature

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I think this might be my accidental big discovery of this year, a bit like the yellow/red heraldry on the gnolls last time round

      Delete
  3. Just loving that old C series look

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can't beat it. Sure, if you look too closely at the minis some of the sculpting and casting is a bit suspect, but I love them anyway

      Delete
  4. Well worth the grind! These all look great, and will make for a stunning army!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks George, I'm a great believer that a high head count compensates for a general lack of quality ;)

      Delete
  5. Love a monopose unit - can't wait to see how you base them :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool update. Sad to hear the problems with the basing supplies, but in the end no doubt they'll look spot on. Keep up the work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It'll all come good in the end - or it'll all come adequate, which will do! ;)

      Delete
  7. This is a great way of showing how the OWAC grind can lead to massive productivity. These pre-slotta sculpts really come into their own once they are painted up as a coherent unit :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a great believer in the power of the grind. In the past, I would be painting stuff in time for a game, but with no gaming on my horizon, it's you lot who provide the urgency to paint. Thanks for the encouragement :)

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog