Sunday, December 24, 2023

Bill's Defenders of Vogelburgh

Here we are again, OWAC VII! I sat out OWAC VI, and went to the Field of Bones the year prior, but I’m back with more orcs and goblins to cont...wait a minute. Wait. These stout little guys lack the ears and noses to be goblins. And these are clean, well-armored human beings, not orcs. What gives here?

 


Yes, I’m taking a break from the Waaaagh to pursue another, smaller project this year. Every year I’m blown away and inspired by Jaeckel’s absolutely brilliant armies, with their strong narrative focus and thoughtful unit selection to support that narrative. And I’m still in awe of Byron’s stunning “Army of Güsseldorf” from OWAC V. Between these influences, I decided I wanted to challenge myself to build an army that tells a story, that has a tight focus, with unit selections that make sense within that story. And I wanted it to be fairly light-hearted and whimsical, an army rich in puns and cheeky winks at the audience.

 Going through my pile of opportunity, I realized I had a goodly amount of Halflings from Old School Miniatures that I had started painting and stopped work on years ago. After a bath in stripper they were as good as new. A 3rd edition Empire army with Halfling allies sounded like it would be a nice change of pace from the orcs and goblins. Looking at what else was on the market that I could bolster these halflings with, an idea for a narrative began to form…

***

Vogelburgh is a small, sleepy community in the Imperial province of Averland, nestled in the foothills of the World’s Edge Mountains, two or three days’ ride north of the fortress-town of Grenzstadt. It is bothered occasionally by wandering bands of orcs (usually survivors of failed invasions through the Black Fire Pass), and more rarely by beastmen, but for the most part is a peaceful place where nothing particularly exciting happens – which is exactly the way the inhabitants prefer it. “We’re a quiet town, for quiet people,” as Burgomeister Livorno Nebelhorn is fond of saying.

The closest thing to a claim to fame held by Vogelburgh is its unusual poultry. Under the eccentric husbandry of Amber Wizard Harlund Sandorsz, Vogelburgh’s chickens grow to prodigious size, with the largest being the size of ponies. Sandorsz’ giant chickens have been investigated three times in the last five years by the Cult of Sigmar for any evidence of Chaos’ influence; in all cases, the inquisitors have returned to Altdorf satisfied (and almost a stone heavier than when they’d arrived in Vogelburgh) that nothing untoward is happening.

Some point to Sandorsz’ chickens as the reason why Vogelburgh hosts one of the largest populations of halflings (relative to the village’s overall size) outside of the Moot. When asked about this by travelers, community elder Bobo Sweetbread responded solely by licking his fingers and grinning.  

Vogelburgh hosts a small garrison of Imperial halberdiers, but is otherwise defended in times of need by a rowdy (and often wholly-drunk) militia and the village’s huntsmen and mountaineers, bolstered by a mustering of halflings. If travelers’ tales can be believed, Sandorsz has even driven the biggest and most aggressive roosters of his flock into battle, allowing the belligerent birds to kick and peck would-be invaders.

***

Yes, chickens! I spotted the Halfling Chicken Riders offered by The Assault Group and was so amused I had to incorporate the idea of giant chickens into my army, and it quickly grew into a theme. Given that this is a 3rd Edition Empire army, I opted for War of the Roses historicals (rather than the 30 Years War vibe that later became standardized for the Empire) for my State Troops and archers, with reissued Citadel C2 and C4 mercenaries from Wargames Foundry to represent my drunken militiamen. Characters came from Satyr Art Studios and Old School Miniatures, and a few further odds and ends came from Midlam Miniatures, Knightmare Games, Lucid Eye Publishing and the stunning Dunkeldorf line of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay-ready civilians from King Games in Denmark.

Here’s the army list I’m currently working with:

 

The Defenders of Vogelburgh

 

Characters (365 pts)

Burgomeister Livorno Nebelhorn – Level 15 Hero, Light Armor, Shield: 83 pts

Master Harlund Sandorsz – Level 10 Wizard: 85 pts

Karl Hendl – Level 10 Hero, Army Standard Bearer, Light Armor, Shield – 108 pts

Captain Peter Totleger - Level 10 Hero, Light Armor = 57 pts

Sergeant Gerhard Nebelhorn - Level 5 Hero, Light Armor = 32 pts

 

Rank and File (457 pts)

Imperial Army Garrison, “Totleger’s Carvers” – 18 Helblitzen, Standard + Musician = 180 pts

Conscripted Mountaineers - 10 Bergjaeger = 130 pts

Vogelburgh Militia, “Peggy’s Paramours” - 19 Ersatzsolder, Light Armor, Standard + Musician = 147 pts

 

Allies (281.5 pts)

Elder Bobowicz “Bobo” Sweetbread - Halfling Contingent Commander on Pony = 80 pts

"Yeggs Benedict and the Double-Batter Boys" - 12 Halfling Militia, Standard + Musician, Champion = 88 pts

"Shandy Kleer's Pluckers" - 9 Halfling Scouts, Champion – 113.5 pts

 

Monstrous Host (48 pts)

8 Giant Roosters (count as Boars) = 48 pts 

 

Misc. (0 pts)

Der Bierwagen - Baggage Train = 0 pts 

 

Points Total: 1151.5 pts 

 

Now, obviously, this is a very “low level” army – having a Level 20 or 25 Hero leading the defense of this tiny little podunk town didn’t feel right, and I similarly couldn’t justify making Sandorsz a very high-level wizard. There will probably be a few other figures given individual names along the way; for example, the barmaid overseeing the Bierwagen is the Peggy all the militiamen are besotted with. Time permitting, I may add a unit of Halflings mounted on giant roosters to my allied contingent; they're not on the ally list provided in the Warhammer Armies book, but I've statted them up based on the numbers on the main rulebook for 3rd edition.

Since this year we’re adding boasts as an additional self-imposed challenge, I’m committing myself to learning how to apply decals and make them look good as part of the Old World Army Challenge. I’ve got a sheet of heraldry decals with a row of roosters, and ideas of where I can apply them throughout the army – the Burgomeister’s shield, atop the Army Standard, etc., so I'm hoping I can make this work. As you can tell from the 4" steel pins used as standard poles for the Army Standard Bearer and helblitzen unit, I'm intending to go big and dramatic with the flags as well.

And finally, my Entry Fee figure; a classic Citadel C2 Fighter, painted as a tester to see how I like combining contrast paints with normal layering and highlights. I think he came out very well, and I'm looking forward to sending him along to a to-be-determined recipient!


 Good luck in January, everyone!



12 comments:

  1. I really look forward to seeing what you come up with for those chickens, I bet they are going to look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the backstory. Using the chickens as a common theme in the story, army and heraldry is really good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! Love the theme and the commitment to keeping it in the spirit of a rowdy, chicken riding militia. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love armies with a good story 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're the king of them, as far as I'm concerned!

      Delete
  5. Pushing the Citadel halflings with chicken drumsticks theme to its logical conclusion, nice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I have one of those in my old Averlanders Mordheim warband, and I forgot all about it, but yeah. I do have a halfling eating a sandwich in the militia!

      Delete
  6. Really nice army. The halflings and the halebardiers will look cool once painted. The presence of Dunkeldorf miniatures will add a nice touch to the whole army.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are definitely drawing on some good OWAC inspiration there! I love the idea for your army, good luck this year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Niiiice! Nothing not to love about halflings! All the best with the paint

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog