Sunday, June 2, 2024

Ben's Alpine Gnomes (945pts) OWACVII - Month 5

Greetings dwellers on the threshold! Salutations from May! I come bearing long pointy sticks aplenty just in time for my final rank and file month!

From the onset, I knew that pikeblocks would be integral to the gnome's strategies, what with their four ranks of attacks on a lucky charge. Pairs of hand weapons and spears just cant compare to that kind of output and so I did what any sane general would do; I assembled my pikes...

20 pikegnomes, some with cute flower tufts on their bases.1


...and then I assembled even more!


15 additional pikegnomes, some with regular tufts on their bases.2

So, I'm not actually sure if 7 ranks of pikes is overkill, but if it is, I'm sure a pair of command trios can turn the blob into two slightly less unwieldly blocks. Since June will be my leader month and the final month of OWAC VII, I'm sure we'll see that and then some before our time is through!



The Army Thus Far

10 crossbows - 60 p
2 illusionists - 56p/ea
1 alpine giant - 160p
  10 guarden gnomes with light armor, bsb, and musician - 150p
champion on foot with halberd and light armor - 39p
5 fox riders - 75p
1 cannon - 50p
1 organ gun 60p
35 pikegnomes with light armor 227.5

total points 945/1000

I'm actually not super certain about the math at this point, since its been so long since I crunched the numbers, and I only did so with the most rudimentary understanding of WFB5E.3 I'm still using Byron's rules as my guiding light, but I can't for the life of me recall how I decided that pikegnomes with light armor are 6.5p a pop. 

Hopefully next month, after we've sprinted to the finish line, there'll be time for calculations. With that and more in mind, I wish you all the best of luck as we do our final lap, and prepare to sent OWAC VII off with a bang! Take care!

1. I accidentally made all of these pikegnomes purple. I had been shooting for blue but was so focused elsewhere that I goofed and droppered the wrong paint into my palette. As it turns out though, this was a happy accident as the purple went really nicely with the yellow flower tufts I'd discovered the other day.
2. I am realizing how desparately I'll be needing movement trays once this army is assembled. That might be a feature next month, in the event that I have time.
3. I also can't do math because I've had two of my wisdom teeth removed and can barely type this sentence, let alone perform basic arythmatic. Lol, at least its not "take a photo of yourself with your army month," because I look like a friggin chipmunk.

6 comments:

  1. Impressive blocks... or blobs!... of Pikemen! Great idea to add additional command units to add versatility on the field however.

    I wish you a speedy recovery! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The purple is a nice choice of colour. Works well with the green and yellow of the base. Nice work with your army thusfar and good luck to the final lap!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Might be the first unit in your army which looks more pointy than it looks cute :) Pikes look great in numbers, even with little fellas holding them. And yes, movement trays are a must once you have units that big, I recommend laser cut MDF ones for durability and quick assembly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many pikes, like a gnome-y hedgehog

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love how much bigger the weapons are than the actual characters! What an amazing army. Can't wait to see them all together :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. These guys would definitely win a caber tossing event! Great stuff!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog