Wednesday, January 30, 2019

goblinpaladin's Wood Elves - a January update (203 points)

It is nightmarishly hot in Australia. Canberra, where I am cursed to live, has been smashin' records and breakin' hearts. This mostly means that I haven't been able to get undercoating done, and when I have, I haven't necessarily been able to get any painting done.

At least, not without sticking to my chair. It's gross. I should've gone with goblins or trolls.



family photo! like every family, there's a surly goth
Still, I did manage to break 200 points. I threw the plan out the window a few days ago (when I had seven archers painted, six halfway done and weekend plans) and instead decided to paint up a couple of wardancers to make up the points.

This gives me:

13 archers. At eleven points each, that's 143 points.
3 wardancers. At twenty points each, that's another 60 points.

A total of 203 points. Mathematical!

(As wardancers have such idiosyncratic equipment choices and I haven't painted the shields anyway, I'm just pricing them as nudes.)

three wise kings. no, wait, that's different.
You might have noticed that these aren't what you might call traditional wardancers. I originally wanted to collect what I nicknamed 'elves with axes', as I noticed a couple of Oldhammery Jes Goodwin sculpts I liked (one is in this project, still to come). But as I started delving deep into the Mines of Oldhammer-ia, I awoke the Balrog of Elves are Really Cool. I rapidly expanded my initial 'couple of neat elf sculpts' into a full-fledged Third Edition army. As I scrolled through various wikis and old catalogues, my list of fun miniatures strayed from those labelled 'wood', including a few 'dark', 'high', 'sea', and 'Melnibonean'.

block of ten
I began to conceive of a more pluralistic approach to an elf collection. As the wood elf realms drifted away from the tedious civil war of the lost home islands, it makes sense to me that you would still see those primarily dedicated to Khaine, or to some of the other elven deities that are regarded in Ulthuan as less than savoury. You've obviously still got 'sea' elves (although I think that mine will mostly be river-dwellers, fisher-elves of the lowlands); even the wood elven courts should still retain some trappings and fancy things.

we three elves are warriors tall
So, yeah. There's a witch elf in there. She's cool; she's just really into Khaine. Some of the Glade Runners are really into Kurnos, you know? She makes a great wardancer when goblins invade or those tedious human horse tribes get a bit uppity. Really intense, yeah? Anyway, I've got to introduce you to my cousin. You'll love him, he's got an eyepatch.

two by two hands of elf
As for the other two, they are just some of the wood elf sculpts I like. I'm planning for the army to have lots of archers, a block of spears, some cavalry and lots of wardancers and animal handlers; no elves fighting with hand weapons in traditional blocks. So the elf sculpts like that get promoted to wardancers. I'm sure it'll all work out.

it is real hard coming up with captions

hey was there a limit on how many photos we were supposed to post

i just really like the flowers

i think this is all the archers?
Thanks for scrolling through all those photos of plastic wood elves from 1987! My partner took these photos, and so I wanted to use all of 'em.

that has got to be super uncomfortable
Next month, I'm planning at least another 12 archers (which would take me to 25/29 that I currently own), and a small group of 5 glade runner scouts. That would be 212 points. Let's see what the weather does.

Friday 18 Jan 2019; The Guardian
send help

18 comments:

  1. Glad you made it! I like your shade of green, nice and subtle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm actually trying to get two different shades of green, but they're obviously a bit too similar. Going to have to work on it a bit more.

      Delete
  2. Wood Elves for the WIN! Love that you used the classic plastic. Awesome basing by the way. 😬

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I wanted to go for a ~forest glen~ sort of feeling. I'm not sure how much forest I've got, but I think it's working.

      Delete
  3. Love those old monopose plastic wood elves and the idea of using elves from all the ranges. Great work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm really looking forward to getting some sea elves in. I have one so far!

      Delete
  4. Good work on the oldschool plastic, they turned out nice! I like your more varied approach to the wardancers too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers. I'm looking forward to having all the wardancers I have planned done, so I can see if it works after all.

      Everyone seems pleased at the plastics - they're actually pretty good, especially considering their age.

      Delete
  5. Keep cool. I love what you’re doing here

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice bunch of Wood Elves. I like your take on the War Dancers. Sexy chainmail bikini and all. The basing is also really nice. Your weather looks pretty dreadful. Those temperatures are where I'm headed in about 6 or 7 months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Climate change is just a straight-up horrorshow. Sympathies!

      Delete
  7. I missed CANCON this year for the first time in ages. Somehow I'm not so disappointed now.

    Gorgeous wood elves mate, really nice choice of palette!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's always next year!

      I've never painted green cloaks before but this is good practice for + REDACTED +

      Delete
  8. Really like your idea to include a wider range of sculpts/elf backgrounds in your army - that instantly makes this Elf army more interesting for me - making Wardancers more diverse is a brilliant idea :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm pretty excited about it. There's also a few miniatures from other ranges I'm hoping to get.

      Delete
  9. Great work! I also included some witches as wardancers in my old WE army, back in the 90s. Very effective indeed, so I really appreciate your choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping she'll mix in nicely with the others once they're all done. And thanks!

      Delete

Search This Blog