Wednesday, June 26, 2019

James' Grave Fillers (201 points)



When Slange's force hit 1,000 points in May I was pretty jazzed. I got a lot painted, I saw a lot of other people's excellent minis get painted, and I even took the bone pile out for a dry run game of 3rd ed against Brennan's Slann.  But this is Oldhammer; when are we ever really satisfied with our armies?

What to fix in June, then?  First off, I made 5x3 movement trays and there were some gaps to fill.  
Second, when I was getting ready for OWAC, I bought the Skeleton Legion set from Alternative Armies.  Most of it was used throughout the challenge, but there were a few unused pieces left, so for completion's sake I opted to finish the last of them in June.


The lone axeman here fills in the second to last spot on the Grim Reaper's movement tray. The spearmen were just unused figs, so here's a small starter unit of spears. In the back middle you'll see one of the chariot drivers that got displaced by the Wight Hero in the undead chariot.


Filling in the final hole on the Grim Reapers' movement tray is this decaying flag-waver from Reaper miniatures. He was an unintended late-challenge purchase.  I really like how the Grim Reaper unit came together and it bugged me not to give them full command, so here he is!  How that skull is fastened to the fabric is beyond me; let me tell you of the days of high adventure.


These figs are the fillers for the core skeleton unit. That third one in is from a previous month, oops.  Photo-bombing undead! It's a real mix in this group.  One from the GW Skeleton Army box, the few in the middle are Alternative Armies, and then there're the dog and handler from Ral's Lich King set.  I put the handler and dog on a 20x40mm (thanks, Warmaster leftovers) and use it as two figs to keep it easy.


OK, so the bolt thrower.  Why a bolt thrower?  It's not in the 3rd ed Undead army list; the HammerCops are sure to take me downtown. 
This is the only piece that would have been left from the Skeleton Legion set so it just had to be painted.  Damn the points, no mini left behind.
A Ral Partha skeleton bolt thrower was also one of the first things I bought for my very first undead army (for AD&D BattleSystem!) so that's fun.  
It doesn't hurt that I play with cool agreeable folks that don't really care if I throw down something fun at a reasonably fudged points cost.  
That's just how we Oldhammer it up here in the hinterlands.


 The participating units all nice and tidy with their filler figs!

1 Grim Reaper standard bearer: 24 points
1 Grim Reaper: 12 points
6 Skeletons with spears: 55 points
5 Skeletons (4 and a dog): 50 points 
1 Bolt Thrower: not even in the army list
Total for June 141 (+bolt thrower 60pts) points

Overlord note : we are going to value that bolt thrower at 60 pts, for a nice 201 pts monthly total.

7 comments:

  1. Great finish! I love the standard bearer- reminds me of Skeletor LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Grim Reaper standard is sweet AF!
    Stirling work all round Sir!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That standard bearer is indeed awesome, love the model!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rounded out in the true spirit of Oldhammer - no mini left behind indeed! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice job! I really like the standard bearer

    ReplyDelete
  6. WFB 3rd ed. rulebook. Page 19. Skeleton bolters. The photos of that battle scene werethe biggest inspiration for playing WFB for me. That's all the justification I need. I've got a couple of the Grenadier skeleton bolters, and I've been pondering the AA model too.

    Nice round of figures, once again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good paint jobs on those figures, and yes the bolt thrower is in the WFB 3rd Ed. Armies book Undead list. I took a look in the Ral Partha Europe 28mm online catalogue and your bolt thrower on the pivot mount does not appear, instead a larger undead ballista on wheels with an upward incline is listed. Is the smaller one you pictured still available, looks like it would work well on a ship?

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog