Friday, July 5, 2019

Iannick's Bring out yer dead (148 points)

When there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth

After a slow month in May, production wise, I promised myself to end the challenge on a more productive note, and I believe I managed to do just that!


First we have a small unit of 12 Zombies. I will obviously need a few more to make this unit a workable force but it is a nice start for me to expand on at a later date (or Challenge?). The figures are mostly from Upstream Games House's "Zombies of Karr-Keel" range, with a few old C-18 Zombies thrown in the mix for good measure. The Karr-Keel is a great range, sculpted by Kev Adams himself, the man behind the C-18 range. I especially like the fact they are a complete match, not only in style, but also in size and proportions, to their Oldhammer brothers. It's a nice attention from Bryan, the man behind the range, as we often see "Oldhammer" style ranges with figures which absolutely do not match with earlier range, often towering over them (which is a pet peeve of mine). I will admit some of the figures are a bit outhere for a fantasy army force (like the chef holding a cake! birthday being the theme behind the range 1st offering) but the sculpts are so full of personality that it still works. 



I've had a lot of fun painting these guys, and I fully intend on getting the second set, as well as scouring Ebay for more C-18. This deserves to be a big unit. I painted each figure as a unique individual, but while keeping the skin colours to a few shades of green and whitish. Looks great, but quite time consuming! 



I finished the second batch of 6 a few days ago, and I was really lucky the gods gave us a low humidity night on Sunday night, allowing me to varnish them to remove the AP shine (I often use AP when I want dirty looking figures...i.e. Zombies for examples!). The figures were painted with Foundry, Citadel and Andrea paints, and no washes, only AP, as I wanted a more dirty look but still keeping to my usual colourful style (I can't help it).



And to finish the challenge I give you my Plague Cart! 




The model is one of my favourite Undead model, maybe my favourite. I find it so evocative and haunting in it's morbid simplicity (hey GW! Sometimes less is more!). I hesitated a lot when it was time to pick a colour for the rider (yellow? red? black?) but in the end I went with my ethereal look to match it with my ethereal contingent (it is after all very close in style to my wraiths). In a perfect world I would've wanted to give the bone parts a wash of AP but time was lacking, and humidity a factor. It was a little bit of a pain to glue, and I was really relieved when it was all done! I painted each parts separately, so the gluing part, especially with a short deadline, is always stressful! Must...not...fuck...this...up...




The oval base works well, and it should make it the centrepiece of my army.



I'm really happy that this classic, painted, is now part of my collection. That's what the OWAC is all about; forcing you to paint classics which have been lingering on your desk for far too long!

So...
12 Zombies : 48pts
One Plague Cart : 100pts
Total : 148 pts

I'm a bit short for points but I'm well over 1000pts for the challenge so that will do it. Sue me!

I'm done folks! Congrats to all challengers who made it to June!

My watch has ended.

8 comments:

  1. Well done, buddy. Nice vibrant colors are so refreshingly Oldhammer!

    ReplyDelete

  2. They look great! And of course thank you for all your hard work running this challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant. My favourite is that puppet master guy, he is suitably spooky. Congratulations on your completion, and thanks for the ride!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely stuff! You have done that Plague Cart proud - good call on the ethereal look for the rider :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lots of really fun zombies in there. The cart is a success too.
    Sybou

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good stuff! Like the carnival look.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic work Iannick. I love the ethereal colour in particular. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great OWAC final! They all look nice!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog