Monday, March 29, 2021

goblinpaladin's Squats - a March update (675 points)

 Squats have long memories and never forget an act of treachery or a broken promise.
    -From the Codex Imperialis

Rank & File Month #2

Guild Bike Squad + Guild Weapon Team

I failed you, O my brothers and O my sisters, and was forced to yield in the month of February. I offer no excuse except the pallor of my skin and the reek of failure on my brow. All I can do is come to you now, in March, the third of months, and offer more here than planned.

  • Guild Bike Squad, 555 points
  • Guild Weapon Team (multi-melta), 120 points
  • TOTAL: 675 points
It's not as bad as all that, actually. Failure last month has meant that I can offer the full squad of eight this month, as well as one of the two heavy weapon trikes. This is February + most of March, and I've expanded on what I originally intended for April as well. Everything is on track road.

Bikers led by a foreman, Guild of Engineers

Many others have complained about how annoying these old models are. I dimissed them, thinking this was the muttering of old men and whiners - but oh boy are these models annoying. Fiddly and warped with nothing fitting together properly. Space dwarf bikers really could do with the upgrades offered by modern 3D design and plastics.

I managed to get them together okay enough in the end, and most of the range of biker bodies are represented. They aren't equipped according to the Compendium rules, but that's because those rules don't even come close to representing the actual models, so whatever.

a terrible snapshot of the foreman

I've given the foreman a hand flamer and power fist as modern army design usually gives unit leaders some fun options. I also wanted to use the silly robot fist from Wereweevil Miniatures.

Heavy weapon trike

The trike was also a pain, especially trying to find a way for the gunner to look even remotely natural. I was able to find some reasonable hands on the plastic sprue, as long as you don't look too closely. But then again, you shouldn't ever really look too closely at my paintwork.

business end

I painted the multimelta as though it had ceramic cooling tubes, a feature I've used in other armies. It vaguely gives the impression of advanced heat sinks. At least, it's supposed to do that, but here it kind of looks like an adhesive bandage, worst luck.

party at the back

yes, the miniature is not centred well. i know.

Guild Heavy Weapons Trike and Guild Biker, Paul Bonner
© 1989 Games Workshop

Coming up next month: More motorcycles! But this time from a different range...

15 comments:

  1. They look great! Love the basing and the vibe of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! I will never build squats, but I love looking at them! These look wonderful, you sell yourself short!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very kind! I think the effect is rather better en masse; I'm looking forward to the end-of-project group shot.

      Delete
  3. They do look a bugger to fit together - bravo for persevering with them! Always had a soft spot for these Squat Bikers but never got round to collecting any - you've certainly done them justice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, mate. Its mostly just classic old-school wonkiness. If you lean into the wonkiness, they're okay, but it is frustrating. I'm sure real modellers can make 'em sing.

      Delete
  4. Those arms seems a pain in the *ss to put together. At least most of them look natural, even the off hand weapons. And the paintjob are not that bad, on the contrary, you nailed the biker gang colours!

    May I introduce you our friend "the madness of painting checkers" for that lovely orange helmet??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Making each of them look individual while still part of a group wasn't easy.

      I did think about checkers on the orange helmet, but it's already got a lot going on. It has some weathering instead.

      Delete
  5. Oh the joys of the Squat arm sprue! You did well. Keep your head down and press on with the painting. You will be happy at the end of this adventure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'll be thrilled at the end - I'll have a whole warband, maybe even two if I do an infantry command group - ready for a game of Rogue Trader!

      Delete
  6. Super stuff! These look like a load of fun to paint (once you've finally assembled them).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bikes themselves were a chore, but I enjoyed the riders. Bearded biker lads can't *not* be fun.

      Delete
  7. And lo, from the ashes thou shalt be reborn! Great month - nice work. I sympathise with the trike build. My ork bikes are a pain, so I can;t imagine what that super long front wheel must be like to stick together!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog